Role Summary and Personal Attributes required;
Our Technical Packaging Team are responsible for providing packaging technology expertise, knowledge, advice, and leadership across all flexible packaging formats. This is to ensure that Roberts Mart meets its supply (availability, quality, cost and compliance) objectives.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assume responsibility for food contact & other regulatory matters – to include maintaining, updating and logging supplier SoCs and technical documentation for raw materials.
- Manage preparation and filing of all customer response letters to all regulatory enquiries.
- Provide laboratory support and technical analysis for all aspects of the business. This to include: testing of trials, competitor sample analysis, complaint (and collating/despatching samples for external lab analysis), customer CoA, routine GC surveillance testing on print output.
- To maintain all laboratory equipment and to develop testing methods and procedures across both RM sites.
- Preparation of customer specific technical datasheets (TDS) for internal and external use, questionnaires and specifications. Update and maintain RM’s library of product TDS.
- To support the Technical & Assistant Technical Managers in the raising and delivery of customer/process improvement projects from customer enquiry to completion of production trials.
- Provide admin support to the rest of the Technical Team with trial paperwork, samples etc.
- To maintain a tidy Development Laboratory and ensure its equipment is safe, properly maintained and in good working order.
- Support the QAM in the resolution of customer /internal complaints by the provision technical service, analytical work and material checking/sorting exercises.
- Develop material and process knowledge/expertise (extrusion, print, lamination, slitting).
- Become accustomed and aware of RM Quality/Hygiene/Environmental procedures and support with their auditing/implementation/improvement as required.
- Participate and complete special projects or other duties as assigned by the Technical Manager.
Skills, Capabilities and Attributes
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following experience, skills and behaviours:
- Ability to communicate with colleagues at all levels in the business and be able to demonstrate good literacy skills, to include composition of complex regulatory letters to suppliers and customers containing accurate technical information.
- Ability to learn and to understand complex regulatory standards, legislation and guidance notes.
- Ideally but not essential, to have relevant experience, in a technical discipline and/or related professional/academic qualification e.g., in Packaging Technology, Material Science, etc.
- With time, be able to demonstrable and diverse exposure to flexible packaging formats in a regulated manufacturing business.
- Ability to gain in depth knowledge and understanding of the regulated packaging manufacturing technologies & processes.
- An organised, methodical work style and the ability to create and manage filing systems for diverse trial/regulatory/supplier/customer documentation.
- An ability to explain technical concepts/issues to colleagues and partners at all levels to raise overall understanding within the business.
- Ability to work cross functionally and deal with a mix of different cultures at all levels of the business.
- Ability to learn new skills and gain expertise in new technologies.